Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What happened, Winx Club? Part 1

Hope I don't get any flak for this post, but I figure since my blog is already so opinionated it won't matter.

Note: The two dubs I'm basing this all off are 4kids and Nick. I haven't watched Rai, so I can't judge that.

This is only part one. There'll be a second part sometime soon.

I've noticed throughout the course of the show our characters changing... some say they're growing up, others say the characters are slowly degrading. I'm part of the latter.

It's been more or less evident depending on the character; and I'm sure you guys have noticed too. I'll still love Winx nonetheless, but it is a little disappointing as of now.

We'll start with Bloom.

In my opinion, at the beginning of the series, Bloom was a really headstrong, cute character... she didn't give up, she was kind of naive, but she wasn't weak like a lot of her type of character's. I liked that about her; most the heroines in her situation are all like, "uwwaahhh Im magical!! I dont know if I can do this, im so weak, uwah angst angst."

Bloom was good. But in recent Seasons... I feel like headstrong, not giving up is all she's been reduced to. I mean, I can't think of a line off the top of my head in Season 5 that isn't something like "We can't give up! I won't give up! We can do it!" or else really generic. I can't really think of any interests of hers besides being a fairy, either... maybe being in a band?

Season 4 I don't really remember much. I didn't like that Season much. I know she wasn't as bad as in Season 5 but she still got really annoying constantly trying to relate to and connect with Roxy. 

Stella's changes probably pain me the most. She started off as kind of snooty, mean... but she had common sense. THAT is something that she is lacking in the most recent Season.

I'm sorry, but you do not steal something from a museum for "inspiration." Even early Stella wouldn't do that. What happened, Stella? She seemed to go from a snotty teenage girl to a whiny little five year old. And we even had an episode pointing that out, yet at the end of it, she learned nothing, and proceeds to act the same way. Not to mention poor Brandon. Their relationship is starting to edge into the 'he's almost babysitting her' territory. I miss her old relationship with him. The one where they would do anything for each other and seriously were in love.

Now maybe you're all thinking, "Sibylla, why are you acting like you don't like Stella? I thought she was your favorite character?" Yes. She is. Early Stella is. Some aspects of her character remind me of myself. (No, I'm not snooty.)

I'm not saying later Stella has no good qualities; the designs they do for her outfits are gorgeous. And I still love her friendship with Bloom.  She just gets on my nerves. Also. Does anyone remember this dress?


That's the dress Stella supposedly designed as of Season 1.

I thought maybe they forgot about it... nope. But they're still pushing her as a fashion designer. I'm sure she's gotten better by now, but it's just funny that it's still here.

I think Flora's probably suffered the least change over the show. She's generally stayed the same, sweet, cutesy girl... but she has differed between Season 1 and Season 2 on.

I remember back in Season 1 her voice sounded normal; not the high and whimpery thing most 4kids fans are used to. She also seemed to have a fair amount of confidence, and wasn't as much cutesy as she was in later seasons. She seemed like the older, mature one of the group. I don't really know what happened between those Seasons. I guess something made her lose every ounce of confidence she had.

In the recent seasons she's pretty normal, except for the weird lovey-dovey moment she had for Helia in The Lilo.

I'd say Musa has suffered through quite a few weird, character change moments.. but she somehow managed to end up around the same place she was in the original season, just grown up.

In the first two seasons she seemed to have this weird, dorky hip hop thing going on. At least in the 4kids dub. Something tells me this was just 4kids dub. She kept saying stuff like playa and yo.

Season 3 she was pretty much the same too, but slightly more normal about it and not as much of shoving it in everywhere. 

Season 4 she just blew up. It's like whoever used to write her script left and the new guy didn't know what to do other then have her have relationship troubles with Riven. That entire Season she struck me as really, really out of character... the constant whining about Riven, (I mean, it's totally normal for anyone to whine about Riven; he's a jerk, but Musa wouldn't really.) and the falling for Jason Queen thing... oh man, Jason Queen. I can't stand that guy. He really didn't do anything wrong but he created a world of tiring, repetitive troubles for Musa and Riven. Her outfit didn't help at all. That is not anything Musa would ever wear.

Season 5 she has turned into the most snarky and sarcastic character on the show. I don't even know how that happened after her Season 4 drama, but it's like during the break between the Seasons they realized there was something wrong and brought her back to normal. Of course she's not the same dorky girl from the first few Seasons, but it strikes me as still her, but grown up.

What do you guys think of the changes happening in the show? Do you think they're positive or negative? Do you like it more or less now? 

Thanks for reading. Like I mentioned earlier in the post, this'll be continued sometime soon, but I think before I continue I'm gonna review Stella Harmonix.

All images used in this post found off Google, except the one of Stella's dress. 

5 comments:

  1. what about aisha (i still prefer layla) and tecna or are you going to do them in part 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, part 2 will be them and the Trix. :) And maybe a few other characters, I haven't decided.

      Delete
  2. Girl! I agree with you! Love Flora and I do find Stella incredibly annoying this season. I love girly Musa, tomboy Musa not so much.
    BTW, thanks for the tip on amazon. I got the dolls I needed dirt cheap. Now to track down the Canadian exclusive Bloom! I go to Walreens all the time and never saw those city fashion dolls :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone's going backwards since Nick took over. Animation: Stunning, Transformations: Flawless. Character Development: Horrible! I loved tomboy Musa for being the rebel of the group. Girly Musa turns her into a carbon copy of Bloom, except Asian. Did you post anything about Aisha and Tecna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did post stuff about Aisha and Tecna! Here, they're in Part 2 of this: http://believixwings.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-happened-winx-club-part-2.html

      Are you Anya from BiW forum or are you another Anya? lol. Just curious, to see if I know you or not haha.

      Delete