Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Selkies, Fairy Pets, and Pixies... cute things everywhere!

Sorry it's been so long since my last post, I haven't felt good lately and every time I've come up with a new idea for one there always ends up being a problem. But I won't ramble on too long!

So as of recent, the Winx Club seems to keep getting more and more cute animals, chibi people or whatever... it wasn't that noticeable until Season 4. Because I mean, what's wrong with some pixies over the course of 3 seasons? But a new thing each Season... we're getting a little silly.

So this season we've got the selkies. A lot of people are complaining that they're replacing the pixies.. but I mean, face it guys, the pixies got replaced by the fairy pets last Season anyway. This isn't a new thing, despite the fact that these are more similar to the pixies.

The main thing that really irks me about the selkies is the fact that they're all generally the same. If it weren't for their colors and voices I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The pixies had a use-- to be generally the opposites of the girls (minus Digit, who knows what went wrong there) and try to balance out the extremely polarized aspects of their personalities. The selkies... yeah, the purpose they serve is complimenting the color schemes of the girls, looking cute, and opening gates. You can argue that hey, some of them have different speech patterns, but that's it. And really only Tecna's and Filla Milla Earth selkie thing.

Also, am I the only one who finds it extremely odd that the seven selkies coincidentally match up to the girls' planets? Aren't there more planets? Wouldn't we really need like... fifty selkies, if there were fifty planets? (Imagine that. "Okay girls, all at once, open the gate to the infinite ocean!" They could probably beat Tritannus on their own.) 

We already know there's at least one more planet with water on it, Eraklyon. And what about Earth selkie Filla? Or whatever her name was, the one that talked in third person. She never even got to bond with anyone. Neither did Rocalucce selkie, but hey, at least it was minor. Filla was here from the start.

So like.. if you need the gatekeepers' powers, how many gatekeepers? Seven? Eight? All? Two and a half? 234? Did Tritannus gather the powers of EVERY selkie in the dimension while we tried to get some gems?

I guess the purpose of the Selkies is for marketing, but they don't seem to be using them much. I mean, you'd think they'd advertise them more so there'd be more little girls like "Ooooh cute!!"  But nope, not really. I think I've only seen them used in advertising once? I guess it attracts little kids anyway. 

And is anyone ever going to talk about how selkies in mythology were seal ladies that shed their skin and came onto land to have romance with a man for a while, before returning to the sea? And now in Winx they're cute merpixies? Whatever. I'm moving on.

With Season 4 we had the fairy pets, which are arguably worse then the selkies. Alright, they're probably worse then them for sure. The fairy pets were really annoying. At least the selkies are humanoid and can talk.

They were created from some defective stuffed animals that the girls were supposed to throw out, but instead Flora decided it'd be a good idea to turn them into real, living breathing animals. Keep in mind they hadn't decided to sell them until after they had turned them into living things. What did you plan to do with them before, Flora?

So the girls open their pet shop and give these things away for free. But wait. They wanted money in the first place so that they wouldn't be mooching off Mike and Vanessa, and thats why they got the job having to move the stuffed animals in the first place... but if you're giving these things away for free, you're not making any money. Am I missing something? Mike and Vanessa were the ones making the down payment on the place, and they paid it back right away... I must be forgetting something man, because I don't get how they got any money.

These things were quite obviously only here to sell products. Simba made an entire line of dolls based off of the girls' pet outfits, another line titled "I Love my Pet", and Jakks made a Bloom doll with seven(?) pets.

Not to mention various series of figures of the pets, but I can't find stock photos of them.

The pets seemingly disappeared at the end of Season 4, because at the start of Season 5 we were on Earth and they didn't appear once. Did you decide to turn them all back into stuffed animals? Did you shove it all onto Mike and Vanessa? Did you sell the shop? Did Roxy make her dad take if over? We'll never know. This is pretty sad for how much the girls loved the pets. They didn't even take them back to Alfea with them. 

Have the Winx forgotten about us?
Speaking of sad, at the beginning of Season 4 the girls promised the pixies that when they returned from Earth, they would come back to them. I guess they didn't, because the pixies haven't made an appearance this season either.

I guess you can say that they're busy having their own spinoff series, Pop Pixie, but that's a pretty lame excuse.

Personally I liked the pixies. They seemed to have the most personality of the cute things, and they were designed much better then the selkies. They had a cool village, and they did serve a purpose, as I mentioned earlier. 

But their time is over, sadly. But I guess they'll carry on in the form of Pop Pixie.

We also had pixie pets, if anyone remembers those. They were pretty much less girly, poorly proportioned fairy pets. I think they make appearances in Pop Pixie, but I haven't seen that so I wouldn't know. They seem to have more variety then the fairy pets, coming in species such as bear, bird, and porcupine, as opposed to cat, duck, and sheep.

My favorite of the "cute things" of Winx Club were the pixies. The fairy pets were my least favorite, mainly since they served no purpose other then to be cute. I mean, at least the selkies open gates.

I wonder what the cute thing of Season 6 will be-- since at the rate we're going, it's likely there'll be one. Maybe nymph pixies, or air pixies. Let's just hope it talks, and isn't an animal.

What's your favorite? What do you think of all the varieties of cute side characters? (If you can call them that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment